Certificate Installation: Microsoft IIS 5.x & 6.x
Installing a certificate on Microsoft IIS 5.x / 6.x
You will have received your certificate file from us, usually named 'your_domain_com.cer'. Alternatively, you may have received it as several files: 'your_domain_com.crt' and intermediate [download root & intermediate certificates from Root & Intermediate Certificates] The root certificate [download root & intermediate certificates from Root & Intermediate Certificates] may also be provided.
If you received a single file with a .cer extension, you only need follow the first half of the instructions. Otherwise, please follow the instructions completely.
Copy the file(s) you received to the server.
- Log in to the server. Go to 'Control Panel' > 'Administrative Tools' and double-click 'Internet Services Manager'.
- Right-click on the website you wish to install the certificate on, and select 'Properties'. From the window that appears, click the 'Directory Security' tab.
- Click the 'Server Certificate' button to begin the Certificate Wizard. Select the option 'Process the pending request and install the certificate'. Click 'Next'.
- Browse to the location of the certificate file. This is the file with your domain name within the filename. Click 'Next'.
- Check the summary information screen, and click 'Next'. Click 'Next' or 'Finish' to complete the wizard.
- The certificate should now work, although it can sometimes require a restart of IIS to bring the new certificate into effect.
Installing the Intermediate Certificates
- Click the 'Start' menu, and choose 'Run'. Enter the command 'mmc' and click 'OK'.
- Click the 'File' menu, and select the 'Add\Remove Snap-in' option.
- From the pop-up window, click the 'Add' button.
- Choose 'Certificates', click the 'Add' button.
- Change the setting to 'Local Computer'. Click 'Next'. This step is extremely important!
- Choose 'Local Computer'. Click 'Finish'. Click 'Close' in the 'Add Standalone Snap-in' window, and 'OK' in the remaining window.
- On the left-hand side, expand the folder for 'Intermediate Certification Authorities'. Right-click on the 'Certificates' sub-folder, selecting 'All Tasks' then clicking 'Import...'.
This will start the Certificate Import Wizard. Click 'Next'.
- When prompted to choose a file, select the [download root & intermediate certificates from Root & Intermediate Certificates] file. Click 'Next', 'Next' and then 'Finish' to complete the wizard.
- If required, repeat steps 7 and 8 with the [download root & intermediate certificates from Root & Intermediate Certificates] files.
The installation should be performed on exactly the same server and site that the CSR was generated upon.
The Intermediate Certificates need only be installed once per physical server.